Benefits of Bone Broth
Bone broth could be called “natures multi-vitamin”.
Cool weather has arrived, and so have warm, nourishing drinks like bone broth. What is bone broth? It is an incredibly nutritious and health boosting food, that you drink like a cup of hot tea.
Bone broth is typically made with bones and can contain a small amount of meat that might be adhering to the bone. The bones are typically roasted first to improve the flavor of the bone broth. They are typically simmered for 8-24 hours, with the purpose being to extract the gelatin from collagen rich joints and extract the trace minerals from the bones. At the end of the cooking time, the bones should crumble when pressed lightly between your fingers. Bone broth can also be made in a programmable pressure cooker if you have one, in less time. With a programmable pressure cooker, broth can typically be made in 3-4 hours. Although I have a pressure cooker, there is something soothing about simmering a pot of broth on the stove for 24 hours.
Five major benefits of drinking bone broth:
1. PROTECTS JOINTS. One of the most valuable components of bone broth is gelatin. Gelatin provides us with the building blocks that are needed to form and maintain strong bones helping to take pressure off aging joints and support healthy bone mineral density.
2. GOOD FOR THE GUT. Gelatin is very beneficial to restoring strength in the gut lining and fighting food sensitivities. Gelatin helps with establishing good bacteria in the gut as well as supporting a healthy digestive tract.
3. SUPPORTING HEALTHY SKIN. Collagen helps our bodies form elastin and other compounds that are needed to help us maintain skins youthful tone, texture and appearance. Collagen helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, decrease puffiness and fights other various signs of aging.
4. SUPPORTS A HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM. Remember that bone broth is good for the gut? Well it also has a holistic effect on the body and supports a healthy immune system. Bone broth is one of the most beneficial foods to consume, to restore gut health and therefore support a healthy immune system and a healthy inflammation response. Bone broth can even promote healthy sleep, boost energy during the day and improve mood.
5. BOOSTS DETOXIFICATION. We are bombarded with an array of environmental toxins, pesticides, artificial ingredients and all kinds of chemicals. While our bodies have their own means of detoxifying, it can sometimes become overloaded and sluggish. Bone broth is considered a powerful detoxification agent since it helps our digestive system expel waste and promotes the liver’s ability to remove toxins.
Bone broth could be called “natures multi-vitamin”. How so you ask? a. It’s packed with 19 essential and non-essential amino-acids (the building blocks of protein) b. Collagen and gelatin, which help form connective tissue c. Nutrients that support healthy digestive functions, immune system and brain health Bone broth benefits literally every single part of your body, from your gut to your brain, from your muscles to your ligaments. Enjoy a steaming hot cup of bone broth now!
Here are some videos on how to make bone broth:
References: nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broth/ draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/